Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Do you love old postcards and photographs like I do?



Good afternoon - The postcard shown here and the one I posted below earlier today are a couple of my favorite vintage postcard finds. Dogs, cats, children as well as ladies in intriguing period dress are some of my favorite subjects. I am a very visual person and I have a library of images from antique postcards and photos that I have scanned into my computer. I just love to draw from them to compliment my articles, (the ones on my website - www.goodridgeguides.com) or make special occasion cards for my family and friends, altered art projects, etc. Not just for fun - I have also made money with my postcards/pics as well. Because the ones I use have fallen into the realm of 'public domain' I am free to use them without any licensing issues. I often make computer copies, frame and sell them - always as Framed Prints - It's a no-no in my book to misrepresent work as original art when it isn't! I usually get $6.50 a print on average here in the St. Louis, Mo area.

I have found of my postcards and old photographs at auctions, estate or garage sales. Flea markets can also be a great source for them. I didn't mean to leave out the treasure hunts through antique malls or antique and collector shows as they too are great resources too. I just prefer to be as thrifty as I can when buying and the two places last mentioned tend to see higher prices charged for collectibles overall. The main reason? The overhead at these places dictate that dealers must charge more for each item to offset all the set up expenses.

I don't have as much time right now to do my crafting as I would like to but I still try to squeeze in as many crafty projects as I can around my writing, my website, my antique mall booth, and being a caregiver my Mom.

Gotta buzz off for now - we Big Wheels are always going around in circles you know! Ha!
TTFN
Georgia G.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really want your profile lol
I have a social networking site, and you can create a profile and add this sites RSS feed! I like your blog! Chaz